Thursday, September 11, 2008

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Toyo-san and I enjoy a bottle of Heartland at Yab's Bar
Last night Kevin and I went over to Yab’s for an evening beer. Wednesday nights are slow at Yabs’; when we got in at 8 there was only one other patron. The Japanese slowly came in and Kevin convinced me to talk to one of the locals. Toyo-san ended up being very friendly, and with two dictionaries and nearly all the other bar patrons we were able to have a pretty decent conversation about the American music videos on the TV.

During the day we found an awesome family-owned liquor store in Hikone: Sazanami. The old man behind the counter offered us some Nihonshu brand sake to try. While he described it as gasoline the sake went down smoother than any liquor I’ve have recently. The nearly two liter bottle was a mere two thousand Yen, and Breanne bought one. Nathan and I stuck to beer. Sazanami has an extensive offering of European beers; mainly Belgian and German but a few British as well. I grabbed a few cans of Tokyo Black, a rich and smooth porter while Nathan is trying the Aooni India Pale Ale. We’ll see if that’s good.

No comments: